On Wednesday, March 27, EVMS will debut an improved intranet site. Known as MyPortal, the site was custom built to help staff, faculty, students and residents find the internal resources they need and accomplish tasks more efficiently and effectively.
MyPortal was designed for ease of use. Borrowing from the design of the new public website, it offers simplified navigation and provides information about each department in a uniform and consistent manner. Also, the entire private site is searchable. For instance, you can look for policies and forms from any department using key words.
MyPortal will contain relevant content from www.evms.edu so that users will not need to go back and forth between the public and private sites. Calendar and news features will provide information intended exclusively for an internal audience. MyPortal will provide convenient links to the software applications that users access on a daily basis, such as BlackBoard and the Time and Attendance System. MyPortal will be accessible on and off campus; users will need their network credentials to log on.
Over the next few months, MarComm and department content editors will continue to expand content on the new site. The current intranet site, info.evms.edu, will remain available during that time. Once the transition is complete — expected sometime this summer — the old site will be phased out.
Web Technologies conducted a Website Project Status Meeting on Monday, February 11, 2013. Topics discussed during this meeting included:
- Private website overview
- Current private site challenges
- Preparing your department for migration
- Private site demonstration
- Upcoming training for public site
- Questions and answers
Meeting handouts included Campus Update February 11, 2013 slides and Private Site Content Tracking Sheet. Our next meeting is scheduled for Monday, February 25, 2013 from 3 – 4 pm in Hofheimer Hall Auditorium.
Web Technologies has created this tracking sheet to help you and us organize your EVMS private site content. The information from this document will be used to populate the various search functionality on the new private website. As you are preparing your content for migration please complete this spreadsheet. This and other resources to help you with your public and private website content can be found on the Web Technologies website. If you have further questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org
In an effort to continue assisting EVMS departments with the use of our Website Content Management System (CMS), TerminalFour, Marketing and Communications: Web Technologies will be offering training on the dates and times noted below. There will be 3 beginner training sessions for those who are unfamiliar with TerminalFour (or need to brush up on their skills), 3 training sessions for advanced users, and 3 open forums where you can bring your department specific questions and receive one-on-one assistance.
Thurs, Feb 14, 2013
Wed, February 27, 2013
Tuesday, March 5, 2013
Wed, March 20, 2013
Wed, April 10, 2013
Wed, April 24, 2013
Any suggestions for specific training would be both appreciated and welcomed. We look forward to seeing you there!
A reminder for web content editors: You can add to or update content on the EVMS website using the TerminalFour (T4) site manager. For content editors who need to brush up on their skills, Marketing and Communications will offer additional training sessions. Watch for more details shortly about the training schedule.
If you have questions or concerns, please contact email@example.com or call 446-7070.
As a reminder, we have initiated the web content approval process. Once you are ready for content approval, please take the following steps to submit your content for review:
1. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the breadcrumb trail for each completed section. Please use “Web Content for Review/Approval” as the subject of your email.
(Note: The breadcrumbs are found at the top of each page. See the graphic below, where the breadcrumb trail is highlighted in yellow.)
2. If your content requires significant edits or revisions, you will be contacted by a member of the Marketing & Communications Department. If your content is approved, you will be not be required to take further steps prior to launch.
Please note that the content migration deadline is September 21, and the launch date is November 13. If you have questions regarding the approval process, please contact email@example.com or call 446.7070.
We appreciate your participation in this important project.
The following upcoming trainings have been scheduled:
- Content Migration Workshop, August 31, 10:00-12:00
- Using Site Manager 2, September 5, 9:00-11:00
- Content Migration Workshop, September 7, 3:00-5:00
- Using Site Manager 1, September 10, 9:00-11:00
- Using Site Manager 2, September 12, 9:00-11:00
- Content Migration Workshop, September 13, 1:00-3:00
View all training sessions and register at http://blogs.evms.edu/calendar.html. Please register in advance to ensure adequate classroom space.
Note: You must have attended Using Site Manager 1 prior to signing up for Using Site Manager 2.
We appreciate your ongoing participation in this project. If you have any questions contact the Web Technologies staff at 446.7070 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
We have initiated the web content approval process. Your content can be reviewed on the published site here: https://220.127.116.11
Once you are ready to submit your sections for review and approval, please send an email to email@example.com with the breadcrumb trail for each completed section. The breadcrumbs are found at the top of each page. See the graphic below, where the breadcrumb trail is highlighted in yellow.
Please use “Web Content for Review/Approval” as the subject of your email.
If your content requires significant edits or revisions, you will be contacted by a member of the Marketing & Communications Department. If your content is approved, you will be not be required to take further steps prior to launch.
As a reminder, our content migration deadline is September 21, and the launch date is November 13. If you have questions regarding the approval process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 446.7070.
We appreciate your participation in this important project.
Just a reminder that we are in the process of building the Departmental List pages for the new website. Many of you have submitted descriptions, and we thank you.
However, we are still missing descriptions from many departments. If you haven’t already done so, please take a moment to forward your 1-2 line (25 word max.) short description for your department. This is the description that will be used on the Centers, Institutes & Departments Listing Page.
See example below:
Family and Community Medicine: With an emphasis on the family as a unit, Family and Community Medicine focuses on comprehensive medical care for all age groups.
As a reminder, this is just a very general listing of each unit and should be kept to a one-sentence, simple description.
Please send your descriptions to email@example.com as soon as possible. If you have any questions contact 757.446.7070 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For those who could not attend the all-campus website update that took place last Friday, here is a brief overview of the project as it currently stands:
Public Site status
- We are currently undergoing an extensive review & refinement phase.
- The site structure build is in a state of continuous refinement – expect minor changes.
- The second phase of our all-campus training program is underway; visit www.evms.edu/calendar.html to view the schedule of upcoming sessions and register.
- The faculty/staff directory is still under development.
- The overall content review process is scheduled to begin August 20. Please submit completed sections for review by sending an email to email@example.com and include the page path. (E.g., EVMS Public>>Education>>Master’s Programs>>Art Therapy & Counseling>>Curriculum)
Private Site status
- Currently in the discovery phase with TerminalFour.
- In the process of configuring groups (i.e., Students, Staff, Faculty, Residents).
- Identifying private site content needs.
- In the process of building the site structure.
- August 20 – Public Site content review begins
- September 21 – Public Site content migration deadline
- September 27 – Private Site build complete
- October 1 – Public Site live testing begins
- October 16 – Department content migration begins for Private Site
- November 13 – Launch of both Public and Private Site
Departmental assistance requested
- Public Site content migration is currently only at 25% completion with an upcoming deadline of September 21.
- Web Technologies will be sending each department a content report (conveying all required content to be completed) by August 20.
- We again request that all departments revisit and thoroughly review their existing content, taking care to ensure that content is not simply copied and pasted from the old site to the new site.
To view sample pages of the new site, visit: http://18.104.22.168.
Supporting Resources and Documentation for the website redevelopment project have been posted on our current site for user reference: http://blogs.evms.edu/employee-resources/web-project.html.
If you have any questions contact the Web Technologies staff at 446.7070 or firstname.lastname@example.org.